Cost Saving Tips
- Set water heater temp no higher than 120 degrees.
- Install water-heater wrap per manufacturer's instructions.
- Limit shower length to 5-7 minutes.
- Install low-flow shower heads.
Heating & Air Conditioning
- Set thermostats to 78 degrees in summer, 68 degrees in winter
- Change HVAC filters monthly
- During the winter close shades and drapes at night to keep heat in. Open drapes and shades during the day to catch free solar heat in winter.
- During the summer, keep shades and drapes closed during the day to keep heat out.
- Caulk around storm windows and basement windows.
- Install programmable thermostats.
- Wash clothes in cold water. Use hot water only for very dirty loads.
- Only do full laundry loads.
- Clean your dryer's lint trap before each load.
- Clean refrigerator coils annually.
- Use microwave for cooking when possible.
- Only run dishwasher when fully loaded.
- Keep lids on all pots and pans while cooking to cook food faster, and keep the temperature in your kitchen cooler.
- Install CFL bulbs in fixtures you use most often in your home.
- Turn off unnecessary lighting.
- Turn computers and monitors off when not in use.
- Turn large-screen TV's off completely when not in use.
- Purchase ENERGY STAR appliances when possible.